Monday, March 13, 2017

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

(click on the title to listen to the podcast)

As a new mom, I have spent countless hours singing to my daughter in an attempt to soothe her and convince her that sleep is a basic human right. Most of the songs were originally sung by the Beatles, James Taylor, and Bette Midler (yes, I am actually a 70-year old trapped in a 39-year old’s body), but a few of them are ones I loved as a kid. The other night I started singing Teddy Bears’ Picnic to her and realized that the first few lines were pretty terrifying.
Just imagine some creepy old man whispering “If you go down to the woods today you're sure of a big surprise. If you go down to the woods today you better go in disguise.” Nightmares for days, people! What exactly is happening in those woods and why do I need to hide my true identity? Of course, being the bibliophile that I am, I started thinking about books that have intriguing opening lines and decided that would make an excellent theme for this podcast.


Welcome to Happy Reading, a podcast about middle grade books (and the occasional picture book and YA title) that are connected by a specific theme. I'm Sarah Threlkeld, an elementary school librarian, former 6th grade Reading teacher, and someone who gets almost giddy with excitement when I crack open a new book and read the first few lines. Sometimes I even choose my next book from my massive to-be-read pile based on the first line. That's precisely how I decided to dive into Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk last weekend. I'll keep you in suspense and reveal that title’s first line in a bit. I was actually surprised by how few books in my personal collection begin with a real attention-getting sentence. There was only one jewel on my shelf of past classroom reads and it's the first book I'm going to tell you about.




“This is how Kyle Keeley got grounded for a week.”


How could any sane person not want to keep reading?! What in the world did Kyle do? Did the punishment fit the crime? With that single sentence, Chris Grabenstein pulled me into the zany and mysterious world of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library, and I loved every single minute of my visit.


Kyle’s town hasn't had a public library for years and Mr. Lemoncello, a former citizen and the owner of a highly successful game company, has decided that is unacceptable. He builds a brand spanking new state-of-the-art library, replete with holograms and hoverboards, and offers 12-year olds from the town the chance to spend the night in it before the grand opening. Kyle is one of the lucky few chosen for the overnight, which is actually a competition to solve a complex set of book- and library-themed puzzles. Of course, not all of the contestants are trustworthy and some are willing to do almost anything to win. Will Kyle’s gaming expertise lead him to victory or will he be outsmarted by one of the other players? Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library is funny, fast-paced and a highly entertaining ode to books and libraries. It was one of my favorite reads of 2013 and I recommend it to students pretty much every week.




“When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it’s never good news.”


And so begins Stormbreaker, the first book in the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz.


Most people find it hard to believe, but I didn't see my first James Bond movie until I was in college. I was convinced I'd find the franchise completely uninteresting and geared heavily toward men who dream of driving dangerously and romancing women who are way out of their league. Unfortunately, I was right, at least about that particular movie. Thank goodness Daniel Craig was tapped to play the gadget- wielding, martini-loving secret agent, otherwise I would have missed out on some pretty great escapist entertainment.


Stormbreaker feels like James Bond for the middle grade set. It is packed full of non-stop action, intense life threatening situations, and, yes, cool gadgets. The book was published in 2000, so some of the technology references are pretty outdated (do kids even know what an iMac is?), but the story itself is a total page turner. The people ringing the doorbell at 3am turn out to be policemen informing Alex that his Uncle Ian, a banker who is Alex’s only living relative and his guardian, died in a car accident. Alex is, understandably, devastated. He doesn't get much time to grieve, however, because after the funeral Alex finds out some unsettling news - his uncle wasn't a banker at all, but a world class spy working for MI6. Alex is given an opportunity to follow in his uncle’s footsteps and get to the bottom of his death, which most certainly wasn't an accident. Will Alex survive his first mission? Who can he trust? Had Ian been preparing his nephew to live the life of a spy all along? You'll have to dive into this taut thriller to find out!




“The year I turned twelve, I learned how to lie.”


Take a moment to ponder that opener from Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk. “The year I turned twelve, I learned how to lie.” So much information is packed into that one sentence. Annabelle, the protagonist of this thought-provoking realistic fiction novel, has always seen herself as an honest person, but then a life changing event occurs in her small rural community and she is forced to question her moral code in order to protect a new friend. The villain of the story, a fourteen-year old girl named Betty who recently moved to Wolf Hollow to live with her grandparents, is diabolical and my hackles went up every time she made an appearance. At first Betty chooses Annabelle as the target of her anger, but then she discovers she has the power to destroy the life of Toby, the town recluse. Annabelle is the only one who sees through Betty’s lies and manipulation, but how in the world will she convince all the adults that Toby is innocent. Wolf Hollow received a Newbery Honor this year and with good reason. It is a powerful story about loyalty, friendship, honesty and faith that will stick with readers long after they turn the last page.




“There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.”


Way to ratchet up the fear, Neil Gaiman! It’s not like children need to sleep. Sheesh. This line is the only text, other than the chapter’s title, on the first page of The Graveyard Book, a Newbery Medal winner in 2009. It’s written in white text on a black page and accompanied by an illustration of an arm holding a very large, sharp knife. I don’t know how how anyone could stop themselves from turning the page to find out what happens next. I can’t sum up the plot without spoiling the first chapter, so I’m afraid that’s all the information you’re going to get. I will tell you that The Graveyard Book is creepy without being terrifying and is an exceptionally spun tale about bravery and the importance of family, both the one you are born into and the one you create.


Well, there you go, listeners, four outstanding middle grade titles that suck readers in with a single line and don't release their grip until the very last line. Thanks to a gnarly cold and general life responsibilities, I didn't get a chance to write up two other books with stellar openers. If you are browsing the shelves at your local library or bookstore, I highly recommend you crack open Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee and Gertie’s Leap to Greatness by Kate Beasley. I'm betting the opening lines will get a chuckle out of you and maybe even a full-on guffaw.


Thanks so much for listening to this episode of the Happy Reading podcast! We’re halfway through season one and, while I revel in tracking down books, reading new titles, and recommending awesome middle grade fiction, I think it will be wise to take a little break and recharge. I plan on returning with episode seven in a month, assuming I can contain my nerdy book love for that long. I'm looking forward to sharing a couple of author interviews, a guest appearance by another podcast host, giving away autographed books, and spotlighting books about pranks, twins, and camp, among other things. As always, a transcript of each episode can be found on my website, www.happyrdng.blogspot.com, along with links to purchase every book mentioned. If you want to tell me about your favorite first line, have an idea for an episode, or just want to gush about how much you love the podcast, you can email me at happyrdng@gmail.com or hit me up on Twitter under the handle @happyrdng. I wouldn't turn my nose up at a glowing review on iTunes, either. Here's to starting each day with a memorable opening line. Until next time, happy reading!







No comments:

Post a Comment